Tuesday, June 14, 2011

IT’S NOT OVER TIL THE FIT-LADY SAYS IT’S OVER!

Feeling defeated, we stand facing the stranger in the mirror. We choke back the overwhelming emotion. "What happened? THAT'S not me." What's the point in trying? Right? Wrong! It's not over till the fit-lady says it's over!

If the above description sounds all too familiar, I don't want you to feel defeated. Here are some things to consider:

1. You may feel that you're just too out of shape and/or have too much weight to lose.

It doesn't matter! It CAN be done! It HAS been done! I can show you people who've done it!

2. You may feel that it would take too long.

So what!? That exact time is going to pass anyway! Regardless of what you do or don't do! The only thing that will be different about it, is what you decide to do with it! Why not make good, positive, rewarding use of that time? Remember, it's going to pass regardless of what you do.

3. You may feel it's too hard.

Yeah, it's gonna be hard work. No magical pills that don't work. Just hard work, sweat & some tears of joy as you start to see the changes taking place in your body & on the scale! It feels amazing when you take on something hard and finally come out victorious!

You've probably heard that saying:

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Lao-tzu, The Way of Lao-tzu
Chinese philosopher (604 BC - 531 BC)

Or you hear people say, "One step at a time."

That's the key. If your staring down a thousand mile journey, that can be really overwhelming, and then it’s over before it’s even begun. But what you CAN do, is say, “I’m going one mile. I can go a mile!” And so you go that one mile. Then you say, “That wasn’t so bad. I can go another mile.” and you do. So you don’t look at the total time involved, you look at the day, or the hour. You can do that. And when you’ve done it, be pleased with yourself and say, “That wasn’t so bad. I can do that again tomorrow!”

I'm telling you, I looked for magic pills for a long time. Because I didn't want to do the work! I hated exercise! If I was gonna do it, it would be because the lawn needed raking or other such things. The problem was that all the exercise programs out there that I tried were boring, they didn't work & the ones for women were pretty lame. I don't about the ones for men. But it was those workouts and the boredom that made me hate exercise!

I'm a tiny-framed person. I can remember as an adolescent, weighing 78 pounds for years and was so frustrated because I was so tiny! I have a tiny bone structure with tiny little wrists. Back in the day, the most I had ever weighed was when I was pregnant. I weighed a whopping 135 lbs.! 

In March of 2010 I weighed in at 176 lbs.! How did that happen?! Where was I when all this weight was piling on?! I had all the familiar feeling that accompany an overweight, out of shape body: loathing, disgust, sadness, depression, embarrassment, frustration, anger, shame. I was even embarrassed to be intimate with my husband!

I used to cry out to God for help, like what? He was gonna be my magic pill? One day something just clicked in my head. If I wanted to lose weight, I was gonna have to do something about it! Me! Not a magic pill, not God, not my husband. Me. I guess I finally just got sick of hearing myself complain, and doing nothing about it. I realized how pathetic it was to cry out, complain, and blame but do nothing about it.

The first thing I did was to change the way I was eating. What you put into your body is so significant and many people have no idea what it means to eat healthy. They think that if it's home-cooked and not out of a box, it's healthy. Or they think that if the box says it's healthy it is! WRONG! 

I had bought a book back in 2004 called The South Beach Diet by Cardiologist, Dr. Arthur Agatston. In this book he teaches you about foods and how our bodies respond to different foods. I had no idea! I learned a lot. But in no time I was back to eating bad food again. Why? 

This is important, I had changed the way I ate, but I hadn't changed the way I thought! If you don't change your thinking nothing you do will ever last! Think about it. I had to change the way I thought.

What does that mean, to change the way you think? It means you change what you believe, what you know. It becomes your reality. It's something you know, like you know you need air to breath, like you know your name, know where you live. It's not just a good idea, or a vague fact. You know it in your core

If you know in your core that you need air to breath, are you likely to cut off your air? Clearly not! See what I mean? If you know in your core that there are foods that will keep you lean, nourish your body, sustain your body and that there are 'foods' that will make you fat, poison your body, slowly kill your body, which are you going to put in your mouth?

I used to love hotdogs! I recently was at a convenience store for fuel and noticed an overweight woman, probably about 190 lbs., eating a hot dog. I knew that eating like that was the main reason she was so overweight, but it occurred to me that I had no interest whatsoever, in putting one into my mouth. I thought about how I had loved the taste, but still, I just couldn't imagine putting that in my body. I just know all to well, in my core, what it does to my body, how bad it makes my body feel, how it makes my body look. I just have no interest in going there... ever again!

I've come to know my body. I know that if I eat just one piece of store-bought or homemade wheat bread, I'll be up one pound the following day. Fortunately, my husband thought I might do okay with spelt bread. He was right! No weight gain. 

I now know that when I eat too little, my body thinks there's short supply of food and thus that it's necessary to conserve, and starts storing fat right away! For two days, while I was sick, I had taken in a third of the calories I should have and put on one or two pounds. As soon as I increased my calories to the proper amount, (proper foods, of course) it started coming back off.

So, because I come to know my body so well, I know, to my very core, that I do not have any interest in putting garbage in my body! This is part of changing your thinking.

Saying, "I'm going on a diet." is a misnomer. Because 'diet' isn't a weight loss word! Diet is simply what you put into your body. His diet consists of hamburgers, potato chips and beer. Or,  His diet consists of lean meats, produce, and water.

Have you ever watched a nature show & the narrator tells the viewer what the animal's diet consists of? That's what diet is! Diet isn't a method for weight loss, it's whatever you consume. 

So when you change your thinking, you also change your lifestyle! It's an about-face in thinking AND thus, lifestyle.

To recap:

1. You may feel that you're just too out of shape and/or have too much weight to lose.

It doesn't matter! It CAN be done! It HAS been done! I can show you people who've done it!

2. You may feel that it would take too long.

So what!? That exact time is going to pass anyway! Regardless of what you do or don't do! The only thing that will be different about it, is what you decide to do with it! Why not make good, positive, rewarding use of that time? Remember, it's going to pass regardless of what you do.

3. You may feel it's too hard.

Yeah, it's gonna be hard work. No magical pills that don't work. Just hard work, sweat & some tears of joy as you start to see the changes taking place in your body & on the scale! It feels amazing when you take on something hard and finally come out victorious! Accept, right now, that it’s gonna be hard… but also, that it’s gonna be AMAZING!

4. You may be thinking, “It’ll never last. It never does.”

Change your thinking! Change your thinking, change your lifestyle.

Others have done it. I have done it! Go to my Facebook page and check out some of my before and after pix. Still a work in progress, but pleased with what I’ve accomplished so far! I feel good about myself again, because I look good, but mostly, because I made a decision and committed to that decision and now I’m reaping the rewards. That, feels amazing! I’m stronger physically and mentally.

Feeling defeated, we stand facing the stranger in the mirror. We choke back the overwhelming emotion. "What happened? THAT'S not me." What's the point in trying? Right? Wrong! It's not over till the fit-lady says it's over!

I HAVE YOUR SOLUTION:
I am going to show you how to make that mirror reflect the "REAL" you! You & me. Let's get started... right now!


TinaRandall@beachbodycoach.com
TinaRandall.net  (or simply Fb message me!: @Tina Randall http://www.facebook.com/tina.m.randall)

3 comments:

  1. Great Post!!! I like the part about "Changing your mind set." That's where I am right now.

    Keep up the great writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice personal story - life is about the journey and committing to yourself and others that you will make it better! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny stuff!! Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete