Sunday, April 10, 2011

WHAT ARE YOU AFRAID TO TRY? (Take the First Step).

You ever look at a task or venture and feel like it's too big, too overwhelming, too scary, too whatever? Me too. 

I was in a situation a few years back, in April 2008, where I felt I needed to speak out about something I felt was very important. I decided the best way to do that was to start a blog. I'd never done that before and it was a scary venture to embark upon. "What would I say? Would I have enough to say? Could I say it well enough? Would anyone care enough to read it?"

I just took the first step. I found a place to blog. Wrote my first article and posted it. The rest is history. I picked up three guest authors, one became a regular and major contributor, and I made a new friend in the process. 

The blog ran it's course and fulfilled it's purpose, meeting the needs of many people in a difficult place. But it was time to move on to a brighter place, as the blog dealt with some issues that you can be immersed in for only so long. 

It's a wonderful feeling, and very rewarding to know that you started something that helped so many people. I'm now involved in another service to people in need. I decided to get involved in the Heath and Fitness industry and started my own business. And that was a scary first step for me as well because I've never had a business before and didn't have the slightest idea what I was doing. Fortunately, though, the company provides incredible training to help you get started and to keep going.

The thing is that sometimes I doubt myself. "Can I really pull this off?" "Am I capable, smart enough, strong enough, driven enough?" 
I've hidden from life. I've stayed in the 'safe' place. You know, where nothing changes and you're comfortably familiar with the same ol' same 'ol. Well, I'm sick and tired of the same 'ol same 'ol. So here's what I do; I take the first step. That's a small enough commitment. Then I take the next step. Another small enough commitment. Then I take the next step, and the next, and the next. You get the picture.

I'll probably always have days when I doubt myself. But I'll just keep taking the next step. It's working out pretty well for me so far. I started with a lot of really good Personal-Development books, and I'm still reading. I'll be reading Personal-Development books for as long as I draw breath. 

  • "When you're through learning, you're through." ~ Vernon Law (I think)
  • "Whatever you are be a good one.  ~Abraham Lincoln

What is it you're avoiding, hiding from, or feel you aren't capable of? Try taking the first step. Then the next step, then the next, and so on. Don't look down. Just keep moving. I think you'll be pleased to find that you ARE doing it!

  • "Success is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm." ~ Abraham Lincoln 
  • "That some achieve great success, is proof to all that others can achieve it as well." ~Abraham Lincoln
  • "In the end it's not the years in you life that count; it's the life in you years." ~Abraham Lincoln

 
So I ask you again; You ever look at a task or venture and feel like it's too big, too overwhelming, too scary, too whatever? 

Me too. 
 
A couple of books that can help you while you're taking that first step, and the second, and third, and...
                  

1 comment:

  1. What a great post. It's taking that first step and not giving up no matter what. :)

    ReplyDelete